Tuesday 23 November 2010

NaNoWriMo day 23: unexpected success and a dash of optimism

Well, after my worst weekend so far (253 words) I put in my first 5k day on Monday and managed 5589 words to bring my total to 56526. I also wrote my first really painful scene, killing off one of my favourite characters.


The character with the personality of a cardboard cutout did it. I evicted him from the story and killed him  (2 separate attempts on his life), but he keeps coming back. It seems he's actually vitally important to the plot. Next time I see him, though, he dies for good.

In the great NaNoWriMo tradition, maybe I'll kill him with the travelling shovel of death.

So anyway, word count is over 56000, leaving me just 19000 away from my goal total of 75000... This actually is going better than I thought. Yesterday was hard, though. I think it's the first time I've actually forced myself to go all the way through one of those painful but pivotal events. I recommend the experience to everyone who writes, though - getting over that hurdle has been moreo f a confidence boost than hitting 50000.

No comments:

Post a Comment