Friday 1 June 2012

Camp NaNoWriMo day 1: just write

Day 1: my character is a psychopath

For some reason, I decided that my not-exactly-enthusiastic campaign of Blog Necromancy would be helped along by a commitment to write thirty blog posts during Camp NaNoWriMo. Coupled with my resolve to curtail my 'Doom and Gloom' habit this month... well, it should be interesting.


Basically things tend to go like this for me:
  • A couple of days of throwing things at the story and seeing what sticks
  • Most of the rest of the month in Doom and Gloom mode because I know damn well I'm not writing the story I should be writing but I'm not sure what the real story is until...
  • A few awesome days at the end where I somehow develop the ability to pull everything together and end up with an ending that I think tells me most of what I need to know to fix the start.
I'm usually wrong about how much light the ending sheds on the beginning, but that's another story entirely. Jut a warning, though - thirty blog posts means one a day, so anyone reading along better enjoy my good mood while it lasts. From past evidence, you should see a downturn in the happiness of my posts somewhere around the 4th or 5th of the month.

Now, onto the Camp NaNoWriMo stuff. This month I'm writing the first draft of Doom...

That's just the title of my story, honest. It has nothing to do with my probable mood.

Anyway, I talked about Doom back on day -7, so I'm not going to repeat myself. I'll just say that going far enough back in time that main character Toby Moonstone is ten years old and bent of avenging the deaths of his parents... well, it's definitely interesting. I really have to know this story before I can do anything about the other three.

So, day 1 of Camp NaNoWriMo. I wrote 2,715 words and found myself in the head of a ten-year-old psychopath. Next I'm going to make everyone think he killed his aunt and let the poor kid's life get steadily worse for a while. Oh, and I'm going to eat some of a biscuit the size of my hand. Cocoa-oat brownie biscuit, in fact. I'm not much of a cook, but my brownies taste awesome. Some day this month when I don't feel like talking about writing I'll post the recipe.

Other things you can expect this month:

  • Doom and Gloom. I'll try not to spread it  too far, but be prepared.
  • Me talking about the cool feature in Liquid Story Binder that might mean I actually stop hunting for awesome writing software for a while
  • Lots about Toby Moonstone, the main character of Doom
  • I don't know... other stuff, I guess. If I get really stuck for topics, I'll just start posting photos of goats

No comments:

Post a Comment